Hearings in the Supreme Court are now shown live on the Court’s website.
On Wednesday 21st june the Court will hand-down two judgments at 9:45am in Courtroom 1:
- R (on the application of Maguire) v His Majesty’s Senior Coroner for Blackpool & Fylde and another  UKSC 20. The Court will determine whether the death of a disabled woman who was deprived of her liberty engaged the state’s obligation to protect life under Article 2 of the European Convention on Human Rights, therefore requiring an inquest jury to make findings regarding the circumstances by which the death occurred.
- R (on the application of Wang and another) v Secretary of State for the Home Department  UKSC 21. This appeal raises issues concerning: (1) the meaning of “control” of investment money in the relevant provisions of the Immigration Rules and the facts and circumstances relevant to the assessment of “control”; and (2) the approach to the interpretation of the Immigration Rules.
From Wednesday 21st – Thursday 22ndnd june the Court will hear two cases:
- TUI Ltd v Griffithson appeal from  EWCA Civ 1442. The Court will consider whether, and (if so), in what circumstances, can the court evaluate and reject what is described as an “uncontroverted” expert’s report? The hearing will begin at 10:30am in Courtroom 1.
- R (on the application of Finch on behalf of the Weald Action Group) v Surrey County Council and otherson appeal from  EWCA Civ 187. The Court will consider whether, under Directive 2011/92 EU of the European Parliament and of the Council and the Town and Country Planning (Environmental Impact Assessment) Regulations 2017, it was unlawful for the Council not to require the environmental impact assessment for a project of crude oil extraction for commercial purposes to include an assessment of the impacts of downstream greenhouse gas emissions resulting from the eventual use of the refined products of the extracted oil? The hearing will begin at 10:30am in Courtroom 2.
The following Supreme Court judgments remain outstanding: (As of 23/06/23)
- East of England Ambulance Service NHS Trust v Flowers and Ors, heard 22nd June 2021
- Canada Square Operations Ltd v Potter, heard 14th June 2022
- Unger and another (in substitution for Hasan) v Ul-Hasan (deceased) and anotherheard 20th October 2022
- Chief Constable of the Police Service of Northern Ireland and another v Agnew and others (Northern Ireland), heard 14th-15th December 2022
- Smith and another v Royal Bank of Scotland, heard 12th January 2023
- Republic of Mozambique (acting through its Attorney General) v Privinvest Shipbuilding SAL (Holding) and othersheard 24-25th January 2023
- R (PACCAR Inc and others) v Competition Appeal Tribunal and othersheard 16th February 2023.
- Lifestyle Equities CV and another v Ahmed and anotherheard 20th February 2023
- Thaler v Comptroller-General of Patents, Designs and Trade Marks, heard 2nd March 2023
- The Manchester Ship Canal Company Ltd v United Utilites Water Ltd No 2heard 6th March 2023
- R (on the application of Palmer) v Northern Derbyshire Magistrates Court and anotherheard 8th March 2023
- R (on the application of Toraane and another) v Secretary of State for the Home Departmentheard 9th March 2023
- R (on the application of Officer W80) v Director General of the Independent Office for Police Conduct and others, heard 13th March 2023
- Secretary of State for Transport v Curzon Park Ltd and others, heard 19th April 2023
- Independent Workers Union of Great Britain v Central Arbitration Committee and anotherheard 25th April 2023
- R (on the application of Worcestershire County Council) v Secretary of State for Health and Social Careheard 27th April 2023
- R (on the application of Imam) v London Borough of Croydonheard 3rd May 2023
- McCulloch and others v Forth Valley Health Board (Scotland)heard 10th May 2023.
- Polmear and another v Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust, heard 15th May 2023.
- R (on the application of Afzal) v Secretary of State for the Home Departmentheard 7th June 2023.
- Herculito Maritime Ltd and others v Gunvor International BV and others, heard 14th June 2023.
- Zubaydah v Foreign and Commonwealth Office and others, heard 14th June 2023.
- TUI Ltd v Griffiths, heard 21st June 2023.
- R (on the application of Finch on behalf of the Weald Action Group) v Surrey County Council and others, heard 21st June 2023.